The audio-visual content performed and created by numerous people at several distant locations arrived simultaneously in Linz. The challenge was to coordinate the incoming audio-video signals, which were processed with two different low latency technologies.
Location: Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF) is a public, international and research-intensive university that, in just twenty-five years, has earned a place for itself among the best universities in Europe. It is committed to offering a high-quality teaching model and outstanding research with international projection. Our collaborators in Barcelona were located at Poblenou campus multi-use hall.
Network Partner: CSUC
Consorci de Serveis Universitaris de Catalunya (CSUC) supports cooperation and resource sharing to make the university and research system more efficient. The consortium is integrated by Generalitat de Catalunya (Catalan Government) and ten Catalan universities.
CSUC manages the Catalan research and education network, Anella Científica, which connects up to 85 institutions. It offers high-speed connections with IPv4 and IPv6, dedicated circuits and advanced services.
- Rosa Sánchez | Contents, Stage Direction and Script for the Networked Dance | Kònic thtr
- Alain Baumann | Software Programming & Live Visual Composition, Technical Direction | Kònic thtr
- Adolf Alcañiz | Photographer, Video Operator
- Maria Isabel Gandía Carriedo | Communications Manager | CSUC
- Francisco Banderas | Communications Expert | CSUC
- Marta Gort | Coordination Assistant
- Jordi Pareto | Photographer
- Teresa Via | Marketing Coordinator | CSUC
Prague, Czech Republic
SAGElab is a common laboratory of CESNET, the Faculty of Information Technologies and the Faculty of Electrical Engineering at the Czech Technical University. The goal of the laboratory is to support education and research in network and visualization technologies, development of new kinds of applications and experimental work in these areas. SAGElab is also used for artistic performances using the high quality and low latency audio&video transmission systems developed by CESNET.
Network Partner: CESNET
The CESNET Association was founded by Czech universities and the Czech Academy of Sciences in 1996. It is engaged in research and development in information and communication technologies and builds and develops the CESNET national e-infrastructure for research and education (NREN of Czech Republic).
One of the research areas are high quality and low latency audio&video transmissions. CESNET developed software and hardware solutions to support i.e cultural, medical and cinematography events and workflows. The software solution UltraGrid was used to deliver audiovisual content during the net:art performance.
- Jan Růžička | Head of Multimedia Department
- Sven Ubik | Head of SAGElab
- Miloš Liška | Engineer, Remote UltraGrid Support
- Martin Pulec | Engineer, Remote UltraGrid Support
- Jiří Melnikov | Engineer, SAGElab Prague
Location & Network Partner: GARR
GARR is the Italian National Research and Education Network, providing high performance connectivity and advanced ICT services to researchers, teachers and students. GARR's long-lasting collaboration with Tartini Music Conservatory in Trieste led to the design and implementation of LoLa, a system for the low latency transmission of high definition audio and video streams over geographical networks.
Network Partner: Tartini Music Conservatory
The "Giuseppe Tartini" Music Conservatory is one of the 13 historical music conservatories in Italy. It offers musical education at different levels in a wide range of musical areas, from ancient music to jazz, contemporary music and live electronics. Conservatorio Tartini is also the most advanced HME in Italy and in the world for the adoption and creation of new technologies applied to music education; it was one of the first music institutions in the world to install a very high speed and quality fibre optic connection to the academic and research networks.
- Claudio Allocchio | Senior Technical Officer and Head of Multimedia Support | GARR
- Edoardo Angelucci | System Administrator and Multimedia Engineer | GARR
- Stefano Bonetti | Professor of Multimedia and Head LoLa Software Developer | Tartini
- Pasquale Mandato | System Administrator | GARR
- Bruno Nati | Web & Multimedia Engineer | GARR
- Marco Paniccia | Web & Multimedia Engineer | GARR
- Cristiano Valli | Head of System Support Team | GARR
- GARR NOC team